- Introducing well-being or 'happiness' classes, at Wellington College in 2006, including regular 'stillness' sessions. The UK government has now introduced well-being as a target for national policy
- Pioneering work on holistic education in schools, based on the Wellington model of 'eight aptitudes' derived from Professor Howard Gardner's 'multiple intelligences'
- A pioneer of building bridges between state and independent sectors, and independent schools sponsoring academies, as Wellington College did when it started Wellington Academy in 2010
- Introducing 'leadership education' for all pupils and is a champion of 'character education'
- Establishing parent classes and parent learning, which he introduced over 20 years ago at Tonbridge School in the celebrated Tonbridge Parents' Arts Society
- Promoting 'active learning', using the 'Harkness' teaching approach brought over from the US and the 'Middle Years' approach of the IB
- Setting up the first 'carbon copy' schools in China, with Wellington College Tianjin opening in 2011 and Wellington College Shanghai in 2014, and a champion of schools and universities opening in the BRICs
- A leading advocate of UK students going to US universities as their major higher education destination
- Champion of 'restorative justice', and reduction of rules and punishments in schools
- Opening the first 'bookless' or digital school library at Wellington in 2012, and a champion of digital learning
- Setting up the first Mandarin Centre in a UK school in 2012 as part of a sustained push on the teaching of Mandarin in UK schools and being (we believe) the first serving head to take Mandarin GCSE (in 2014)
- Active campaigner against 'factory schools' and in favour of personalised schools with personalised education
- Campaigning for Shakespeare to be studied and acted in all schools in his capacity as a governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company
- A convenor of some ten conferences a year for schools, founder of the Brighton Conference from 1998 and the Sunday Times Festival of Education from 2010